Buy Temporary Car Insurance Online - Short Term Coverage
To be a responsible and legal driver you need to buy temporary car insurance during any lapse in standard coverage. Temporary auto insurance coverage is one of those important things to have that few people even know about. You could be in a situation now where you should have a temporary car insurance policy and not even realize it.
So when might a driver need this kind of insurance policy?
- You have a car in the shop for repair and need to borrow a friend’s vehicle
- You are trying to buy a new or used car but cannot find one. In the meantime you are using someone’s other than one registered in your name
- If someone uses your car and you want to make sure they are covered in addition to their own temporary car insurance policy
- You could be helping a friend move a car or multiple cars but need to be sure you are covered for this
- For rental cars, it could be a good idea to buy temporary car insurance
- If you use a moving van and want to make sure you are insured behind the wheel this could be good additional coverage
- If you are selling a car you don’t drive but want it insured for other people test driving it this could be a good option
- If you drive for work and need coverage until you can verify the company policy coverage fully includes you as a driver
- Even if you are between insurance policies or are storing a vehicle and driving it very little if at all but want to make sure your insurance doesn’t lapse then temporary auto insurance could be right for you
There are names for temporary car insurance and even other forms of temporary coverage. Non-owners is a popular choice for those who will be using another driver’s vehicle on a more regular basis. Rental car insurance is also a way to go for short term, long term or regular rental car usage. The point is there is never a reason to be on the road without the proper car insurance policy to keep you legal.
Should You Buy Temporary Car Insurance?
The bottom line is that you should never be without some kind of auto insurance to keep you legal as well as financially protected. Why is temporary auto insurance so important?
- Every state but one requires drivers to carry auto insurance to be on the road legally. If you are caught driving without auto insurance you could be facing hefty fines and points against your driver’s license. Not to mention that because of this when you go to get an insurance policy your rates will be higher because of the legal infractions.
- No driver should allow a lapse in their insurance coverage of more than 30 days. This kind of lapse will cause your rates to be much higher when you do go to finally get a regular insurance policy, even a basic liability one. If you
buy temporary auto insurance you can make sure you are protected against this kind of problem.
- If you have an accident while driving without some kind of car insurance the legal ramifications could be unimaginable. If you even buy temporary car insurance, you can protect yourself against a large percentage of the car repair or replacement costs not to mention the medical expenses. Medical bills alone can include prolonged hospital stays, surgery, expensive prescriptions and follow up after care such as physical therapy. This could be something you would have to pay for yourself, another driver or both out of your own pocket if you lack insurance coverage.
Remember even if you think you are covered by your friend, spouse or employer’s policy do not wait to find out the hard way you are not. In the event of an accident if you are driving without insurance you will be held liable. A large percentage of drivers each year get left picking up the pieces in the aftermath all because they thought or were told they were covered as a driver. Unfortunately there is no way to fix this situation after tragedy has struck.
What Else You Should Know
If you think you might buy temporary auto insurance coverage there are a few other things you should know. For example:
- Commonly temporary insurance policies are taken out for anywhere from one to 28 days. A very popular option is the 7 day car insurance policy. You can extend this longer. However long you need a temporary policy you should have one just to make sure you are an insured motorist.
- There are different options for your temporary policy. Make sure you get the one that works best for you not just the cheapest or the one an insurance agent decides you should have.
- Keep in mind if you are driving a car of higher value you should never settle for too basic an insurance policy. If you do this, you are going to be left paying the difference out of your own pocket anyway.
- Check for coverage for everything from collision with another car to one with a structure or even an animal. Make sure you are covered regardless of what happens to you behind the wheel.
- With that in mind, make sure you also have protection from things like theft, fire, storms and Acts of God. Too many drivers assume this is part of their standard coverage and it is not. Even vandalism can be covered in a temporary auto insurance policy but only if you make sure it is included.
- You may even want or need to have a policy that could offer coverage in the event of a breakdown. This is especially important if you are using or sharing another driver’s car. Try to get a policy that will even cover your rental car.
All it takes is your zip code and you could find out the cheapest way to buy temporary car insurance.
Category: Auto Insurance